January 14, 2010 | 3 Comments
I use iCalBuddy and GeekTool to display the upcoming events from my calendar on my desktop.
When I started using Remember the Milk I decided I wanted my tasks to show on there, too.
I don’t know if I have a terrible memory or a long list of things to do but it looks like I can’t get too organized.
Anyway, I googled my way through the following process (I apologized in advance but I somehow lost the links that led the way)
- Of course, you need to download and install Geek Tool
- Of course, you need to have a Remember the Milk account (free or pro)
- Open system preferences -> Geek Tool
- Drag the “Shell” icon to your desktop, a window appears allowing you to edit the Geek Tool command while a frame appears on your desktop allowing you to place your RTM tasks as you wish on the desktop
- To load your RTM tasks, enter the following command :
curl –user username:password url | grep -E ‘(<li>)’ | sed -e ‘s/<[^>]*>//g’ | sed -e ‘s/ \;//g’ | sed -e ‘s/&bull\;/*/g’
and replace username and password by your rtm credentials. As for the URL, you can obtain it by going to your tasks and copy your RSS feed url
- That is it, your task list will now appear on your desktop and using the geek tool panel you can tweak the properties to make them look like you want
I hope you will not forget anything important in the future (though so many things are not as important as they seem to be ; I forgot to sign up for college once – true story)